Greetings from Kericho! The tea capital of Ken-Ya!.
Pourquoi the capital? The never-fail afternoon rain showers. We have spent two nights on the camping lawn (joyously acacia thorn free) of THE Tea Hotel (there's also THE Coffee Hotel in town) and it has rained 2 for 2. Tentie (as she will be known until we baptise her with a yet-to-be-determined snappy Swahili name) has been holding up quite nicely.
First off, another short (but perhaps the best) hippo encounter quip.
A couple of nights ago, Kylie and I were situated on the shores of Lake Naivasha. The sun had set, we had filled our bellies with tasty tasty msg chicken powder noodles and were at last enjoying a steaming mug of our own kerosene stove brewed tea. Amidst our chatting about this and that, I slowly became aware of a steady sound...
Munch munch munch... the rhythmic motions of a sizeable set of mandibles. A nervous glance over my right shoulder.
Kylie, I'm not sure, but I think a hippo might have snuck up on us.
Silence. We listened. Munch munch munch.
We both turned, slowly, to look. Sure enough, less than 10m away, the bulk of a lone hippo, intent on mowing down the camp site's lucious lawn. Silence... and then humming. Better not to have a surprised hippo. Kylie and I ventured a giggle.
You know, I would be more frightened if there wasn't that low electric fence between it and us.
The hippo continued on its path and passed with nary a glance in our direction. Phew.
... and then the power went out...
I suppose that means the electric fence is no longer electric?
Moving slowly, Kylie and I made ready for the night, pricking up our ears every once in a while for munching sounds.
The lawn mower did return, within ear shot before eye shot, moving parellel the fence but in the opposite direction. Funny.
And now Kylie and Matatu Madness.
No comments:
Post a Comment